St. Vincent's Annual Historic Tour of Homes & Tea
2013 Tour Sites
(1853) Facing historic Monterey Square, this four story townhouse was built in 1853. It is one of five homes in Scudders Row named for the builder and the five brothers who were the original occupants. They called the row London Terrace. During renovation in 2006, faux marble panels were discovered in the hallway. These panels are believed to be original to the house. Earlier renovations brought the basement kitchen to the parlor level and added an elevator and closets. The most recent one added a two-story appendage creating an up to date family room with an open kitchen. Heart pine boards discovered during demolition were used as a counter top, cabinet and accents. An artist’s studio was added above the garage at this time.
The home is furnished with the collections of art and furniture of two generations of occupants. Original Italian marble mantles grace the coal burning fireplaces. A deck with wrought iron rails leads to a verdant courtyard and artist’s studio.
(1868) Centrally located in the heart of Savannah’s Historic District, this amazing little world of a tiny cottage offers a perfect blend of the past and present. The modern spin on a classic Savannah home makes this home unlike any other. Its features include all of the upscale home amenities, such as a stunning master suite, separate office area and comfortable living room. The cottage is complete with an adorable courtyard that has its own vegetable garden and is perfect for entertaining. It was expertly restored and imaginatively decorated by the talented team at 24e on Broughton Street. It is no wonder that this is one of the homes with Lucky Savannah Vacation Rentals that was admired by Savannah Magazine. The Southern-vintage inspired design caught the eye of this popular magazine and was featured in their 2013 Spring Homes Issue.
(1881) This townhouse, one of eight in McDonough Row, was originally built in 1881 and restored in 1970. The restoration opened up the traditional living space to create a more contemporary space. The walnut paneled library on the street level is joined to the main living area on the parlor floor by a spiral staircase.
Suffused with light from windows on three sides, the area is open and highlighted by a series of arches beautifully showing the staircase. This lovely home is furnished with many antiques dating from the early 1800s and displays the works of numerous renowned artists.
(1890) Built in the shadow of the Cathedral in 1890, this typical brick row house, at one time painted white, features subtle elements of Greek Revival style. There is a parapet on the front of the building and a stepped parapet along the side. Decorative details are sparse, in fact, almost utilitarian. The row of homes was built for Frances M. Threadcraft and was intended to be used for multiple dwellings.
The first renovation occurred in 1890 when square footage was added to the rear of the home. From 1940 to 1990, the home was used by the Savannah Baptist Center, now the Unitarian Universalist Church, facing Troup Square. In 1990, the church decided to strip the front porch and entrance from the home and turn the residence into three apartments with side and back entrances.
The current owner bought the home in 2005 and restored it to a single family dwelling. The front entrance was fully restored and a master bath and closets were added on the
top floor. An upstairs laundry room and closet were converted into a comfortable den and office space. The total square footage of the home is 2,750 feet. Typical of most Savannah homes, this residence has heart of pine floors that are original to the building.
The owner resides part-time in Savannah. He uses the two top floors for himself and rents the basement as an apartment. He has furnished the home with lovely purchases from estate sales and various antique sources. The style is very much in keeping with the traditional style of many Savannah homes.
(1842) This townhouse and its twin, the mirror-image townhouse adjacent to it, were designed by architect, Charles Clusky. The home was built for the sisters, Eugenia and Louise Kerr, by their father in 1842. Renovated in 1986 by architect Juan Bertotto, this 5,633 square foot home has many of the original architectural features: plaster moldings, a fourth floor skylight, black marble mantles in the living and dining rooms and heart pine beams on the ground level. Faux paintings with tromp l’oeil decorate the walls of the kitchen and atrium. The five bedroom, four bathroom home also features a carriage house and a private courtyard.
(1896) 318 E. Liberty St. is a bay-front row house, situated in Savannah’s National Historic Landmark District. Since its construction in 1896 by John F. Lubs, the row house has served a mixed residential and commercial function, evolving from a corner grocery to a local confectionary to a guesthouse to its current incarnation, the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) executive residence and the SCAD Pinnacle Gallery, which has exhibited the work of luminaries like Andy Warhol.
At approximately 10,000 square feet, the two-story house is characterized by Richardsonian Romanesque architecture,
featuring Queen Anne revival-style brickwork, a roof parapet, and generous arches. On the western side, there is a hedge-lined side garden, showcasing a fountain sculpted by SCAD students and faculty, as well as sustainable lanterns made by SCAD alumna April Rivers.
Inside, there is a story behind every piece. In the Victorian
double parlor, simple Italian chests are juxtaposed with ornate antique candelabras, and modern tangerine-lined wingback chairs meet a 19th century chest of drawers. The work of accomplished SCAD artists, including Ben Morris, Marcus Kenney, Michael Porten, graces the walls and fills the rooms. Throughout the house, color palettes draw from a complimentary range of cool and warm hues, including the signature SCAD grey, which was once used in all SCAD buildings. Together, every design element celebrates the history of SCAD, while inviting friends of SCAD to come inside and contribute to an ever-growing narrative.
In 1997, the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation awarded the home renovation an Excellence in Rehabilitation award. The building was also featured in Perfect Porches, written by SCAD President and Co-founder Paula Wallace.
(1845) St. Vincent’s Convent was designed by the noted architect Charles Cluskey and built in 1845 on land that was once farmland. Tour participants will see the Convent’s private chapel, parlor, grotto area and halls which feature beautiful stained glass, sacred statuary and paintings. To guide tourists along the way, there will be several “nuns” (Academy students) wearing the three major traditional habits of the Sisters of Mercy spanning the years from the 1840s through the 1970s.
The collection of memorabilia displayed in Heritage Hall
documents Savannah’s history against the backdrop of an all-girls education at the world’s oldest Mercy high school in continuous existence.
(1890) This beautiful Queen Anne Victorian is one of a set of three homes built by a father for his three daughters. All three homes originally stood where the fire station now stands on the corner of Oglethorpe Avenue and Abercorn Street. They were moved in 1985 to the present site just three blocks east and to the north side of Oglethorpe. The 2,500 square foot home was originally restored and decorated by Brandon Branch and is featured in the book “Savannah Style” co-authored by Paula Deen and Brandon Branch. The book notes that the gold and burgundy colors used in the living room bring a festive holiday feeling throughout the year. Examine the ceiling closely; it is actually gold leaf and silver leaf! With leather and cork wallpaper, the home has a true a true Savannah feeling! At the other end of the first floor is a fabulous designer kitchen.
Both floors of the home have delightful outdoor spaces. There is an in-ground heated pool in the back garden and a screened room in at the rear of the first floor. When all the doors are open, it makes an indoor/outdoor area that includes the kitchen and makes this area a great space for entertaining. Upstairs has three bedrooms and an outdoor terrace outside the master bedroom. This is a great Victorian that shows off a superb use of space.
The present owners purchased this home as a “turn-key” and moved right into “Savannah Style”.
© 2013 St. Vincent’s Academy. All rights reserved.